homereviewschallengescontestspoliciesaboutabout

Tuesday 23 April 2013

***Review** Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey



Released: 18th January 2010
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Series: Yes #1 in the Jessica series
Source: Bought
Format: Kindle e-book
Author Site:  Beth Fantaskey

Goodreads Synopsis:

The undead can really screw up your senior year . . .

Marrying a vampire definitely doesn't fit into Jessica Packwood's senior year "get-a-life" plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth--and he's her long-lost fiancé. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire's Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess.
But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war--and save Lucius's soul from eternal destruction.





My Review:

I love the title of this book, one that just seems to grab my attention.
 This one had a shaky start and I admit at one point I almost gave up. But I am so glad I didn't, from about the halfway point it just got stronger and stronger. So strong that I just had to keep reading until the very end. Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes it came from a 2 star rating and catapulted to a 4 star rating.  I think it would have just scraped my 50 page rule, yes if a book doesn't grip me by this point it gets flung against the wall in frustration.

The characters really grew on me and I adored Jessica and Lucien. Lucien was my favourite character because he is so hard to read and totally multi layered, not at all transparent.  I had a soft spot for Lucien.

There are all different kinds of vampire books out there at the moment, if you are looking for a total gore fest then step away from this book.  It's more teenage angst with fangs. Sweet and equally frustrating, I just wanted to yell out loud at some points.  There are ups and downs in this book so the mood changes dramatically.
 
I cannot wait to read the next book in the series and see where the story goes next!





 photo 4-star.png


 Overall:
After the slow start this turned into a very enjoyable book.

My Thoughts on the Cover:
I do like the cover and it would certainly be one I would stop and pick up in the bookstore.  I love the colours and the general feel of it.



Books in the series:

2 comments:

kimberlybuggie said...

Great review! This is actually one of my favorite books and I felt the same way. By the end, I was in love.
Happy Reading!

Chocolate Chunky Munkie said...

Thank you, glad you liked my review. I'm obviously not the only one who thought the start was a bit shaky.

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :D I'd love to know your thoughts!!!

 
Blog Design By Sweet Dreams Design using the Sweet Summer kit by Kay Miller Designs.