homereviewschallengescontestspoliciesaboutabout

Tuesday 20 September 2011

Top Ten Tuesday #1



Every Tuesday The Broke and the Bookish  hosts Top Ten Tuesday, a meme in which a new and different top ten list appears. 

This weeks Top Ten list is:

Top Ten Books I Feel As Though
Everyone Has Read But Me
 
 
1. Jayne Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - One of the famous classics that everyone seems to have read but me.  I'm sure one day I'll get round to reading it.


2.  Life of Pi by Yann Martel - How many times have I seen this on reading lists?!?  It seems to be read by most people yet it has stayed on my bookcase for years.


  3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - Again seems to have been read by everyone but me.  I do fancy reading it, but too many other books get in the way.  I do want to see what all the hype is about.


4.  Memoirs of a Geisha - I want to read this one, but never seem to get round to it.  I have seen the film so maybe this has put me off.  I will have to let the memory of the film die off a bit before I tackle this book.



5.  The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - Can't say that I have faniced reading this one.  I know many people who have said it was good, but I'm not convinced I will enjoy it.


6.  Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell - How popular is this book!  Everyone seems to talk about the characters.  I do want to read this, just to see what the hype is all about.



7.  The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver - This was recommended to me by a friend, ever since I was told about this book I seem to have heard an awful lot about it.  So many people I know have read it.  I do have it on my bookshelves to read.


8.  The Diary of A Young Girl by Anne Frank - I want to read this book but I'm guessing it will be really sad.  Very famous and well known.  I will read it one day, but will have to be in the right frame of mind.


9.  The Road by Cormac McCarthy - This one is popular but I have been put off this one.  A friend said that it was really hard to read as there were no chapters or punctuation marks.  I am a big fan of short chapters - stems from reading on the go.  This is also not the first bad review I've heard.



10.  Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - Now I can't understand why I haven't read this.  I have always had a fascination for the story - I think it comes from my love of the song by Kate Bush based on this story.  I've also seen a film of this and it has always stayed with me.  So no excuse!  Time to get the book read.



Do you think any of these are worthy reads??  What is your opinion of these titles............

8 comments:

YA Book Queen said...

I've only read a couple of these - I loved Jane Eyre, though :)

jesspoole said...

I loved To Kill a Mocking Bird, and hated Wuthering Heights (I actually just wrote a post about it not too long ago: http://immabookworm.blogspot.com/2011/09/wuthering-heights-emily-bronte.html) but both are worth a read, if nothing more than to understand all of the cultural references made about them!

lovely treez said...

Some fabulous reads there, Jenny but it's hard to make time for the oldies when there are so many fabulous new books being released! My all time favourite read is Jane Eyre - you can read it and then go see the new movie version - bliss!

Chocolate Chunky Munkie said...

Yes Treez I agree there are some really good new books out there, doesn't help with me reading the RiSi reviews and adding to my wishlist! I did see there is a new Jane Eyre movie coming out, so really I must read the book before I see the film :)

sandra sanchez said...

I got here by clicking on the link from that blogaholic site where I posted a repy to your post. Actually Wuthering Heights is one of my all time favorite books along with Beloved by Toni Morrison, Tracks by Louise Erdrich, One Hundred Years of Solitude by G.G. Marquez. But about Grapes of Wrath which you don't look forward to reading. I would suggest another book instead: Whose Names Are Unknown by Sonora Babb. This woman worked with the migrant farm workers during the depression and wrote this wonderful book. She shared her notes with a reporter who was visiting, his name being John Steinbeck. Random House paid her to come to NY to finish her mss. but after the huge success of Grapes of Wrath decided they didn't want to publish two books on the same theme. So Steinbeck won a Pulitzer and a Nobel and Sonora Babb, well who has ever heard of her? University of Oklahoma finally published her book in 2004 ((she only had to wait 65 years!) and after seeing her best work finally out in the world, she died at the age of 99. Anyway Whose Names Are Unknown is a truly classic book and I highly recommend it. It is 222 beautifully and authentically written pages.

Chocolate Chunky Munkie said...

Hi Sandra,
Wow thank you for the comment, full of detail! I never knew the history of Sonora Babb, how sad to think that her work was never recognised, well not for 65 years. I will add that to my wishlist. I think I'm going to have to bump Wuthering Heights up my reading pile :)

Thanks once again for you comment.

Jenny xx

sparkymarky1973 said...

I loved LIFE OF PI but hated GONE WITH THE WIND. MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA was okay but thought it very over-hyped though interesting.....have you read THE BOOK THIEF? now that is a good book.......

Chocolate Chunky Munkie said...

Thank you for your comments SparkMarky - Yes I have read The Book Thief. Took me a few chapters to get into but I agree it was a great book. My friend Julie recommended it and I'm glad she did as it was a good book. I have another Markus Zusak book to read - I Am The Messanger. It looks really good but completly different to The Book Thief.

Jenny xx

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :D I'd love to know your thoughts!!!

 
Blog Design By Sweet Dreams Design using the Sweet Summer kit by Kay Miller Designs.